Movable equipment is identified by a metal tag having the following information: name of the institution, a visibly readable six-digit inventory number, and a bar-coded version of the six-digit inventory number.
The University tag helps to identify and track assets owned by the University. Some assets, however, cannot carry a tag. These assets are identified in the asset management system by a sequential number following one of these tag number prefixes:
- “ART” and “HART” – art objects
- “SOFT” – nontaggable software
- “FURN” – nontaggable UIHC bundled furniture acquired as part of a building project (note, “FURN” tag number must be listed on P-reqs)
- “P” - nontaggable UIHC project assets
- “S” –UIHC systems assets with no items meeting minimum cost threshold
- “BLANK” –other equipment, such as fragile instruments, that cannot bear a metal bar code tag
A bar code tag should remain attached to an asset while it is owned by the University. Please contact Capital Assets Management Office if a replacement tag is required.
Tags for purchase orders of large numbers of assets that are delivered to a central receiving site prior to dispersing the assets to departments may be obtained by contacting Capital Assets Management Office and providing her the associated Purchase Order number and “send-to” information.